Sunday, August 14, 2011

Going RAW!

I have recently been looking into doing the raw diet for Signey, mainly because she has a bunch of allergies and I've heard good things about allergy dogs and raw. Thanks to some of the people on the shibainuforum.org, I have been looking over some really great websites that have cleared up my skepticism about feeding dogs a raw diet.

I was directed to a site that clears up some myths about feeding raw, quite a few of which that I personally believed, and were my main reasons for not trying the raw diet until now. Among a few of them were:


  • Wolves eat the stomach contents of prey
  • Dogs are too far removed from wolves to be fed a raw diet
  • Dogs have adapted to cooked diets
  • Bacteria in meat is dangerous to my pet
I highly recommend reading about these myths, which can be found at www.rawfed.com/myths/ . 

I strongly believe that you can't just believe everything you hear or read, so don't take my word on this alone. You are dealing with the health of your dog, and shouldn't be tampering with their health based on the words of one or two individuals. Do it right! Do research, compare notes from one source to another. Try to find out if the information you are reading is posted by someone that gets some sort of benefit by pushing the information they're giving. I know that over the next couple of weeks I'll be doing just that.

Here are some other resources on the raw diet for pets:

www.rawfed.com
www.rawfeddogs.net
www.rawlearning.com
www.preymodelraw.com


No comments:

Post a Comment